Sunday, August 30, 2009

August crafts

My first ever canned peaches, from an excursion to Smolak Farms in North Andover with the girls:

In process, European Hearth Style bread, following a King Arthur flour recipe and using the Artisan flour I just got from them:



It's a time-consuming recipe, and makes only one loaf, as opposed to the two it claims, but the bread is EXCELLENT and it's well worth the time. I'd have a picture of the finished loaf except, well -- it's gone.

Below, R's socks, using Tuscan Grove Bellagio yarn in the "Mint Ganache" colorway, with Louet Gems at heels and toes (I was worried I wouldn't have enough of the Mint Ganache --- as it turns out I think I would have JUST made it, but it wasn't worth stressing). I used a variation of the Green Mountain Spinnery pattern I.B.H.'s Toasty Socks, and Harmony size 3 dpns.





Posted by Picasa
I think the last shot shows the colors better than the pictures of the finished socks. Now what?

Time to organize the study, read the book I am supposed to be reviewing, and maybe, just maybe, sneak in a small project before my yarn arrives for the project I am counting on to keep me sane through multiple faculty meetings this fall. I am going to try Deborah Newton's Clasica Coat (on the cover of the recent Interweave Knits), and I've found a KAL on Ravelry to help me stay focused --we'll see! I think it's going to be an interesting enough knit that I'll actually stay with it, though I'm a little concerned about the sheer size of the thing. I'm going to use Cascade Eco wool, which was on sale at Stitch House this month (I can't even think about what it would cost to knit this thing in the yarn featured in IK); Annissa has ordered me a great color and I can't wait.

4 comments:

marit said...

mmm- those peaches looks yummy!
I looked through the bread recipe, and it looks delicious, but I think I'll stick with my old one...

Great socks too!

Knitting Linguist said...

Ooh, the peaches and bread look delicious! And I love that coat -- I wish I had a reason to knit something that big and bulky. As it is, I just cast on for the Urban Aran to keep me sane during faculty meetings :) I hope your knitting keeps you on this side of sanity :)

Bea said...

You've been busy. Those peaches look yummy. I'll say the bread looks yummy just because I know what the finished bread looks like. The image is not so yummy.

Nana Sadie said...

Peaches!! YUM! And your bread looks great, too.

Can't wait to see your progress on the coat. Love the socks!
(((Hugs)))