Monday, June 22, 2009

Yarn search advice?

Dear fibery pals,

We experienced an outdoor meet this weekend where we had 80+ degrees F and sunny one day and rainy in the 50s the next. On the rainy day, the kids' feet were cold because no matter how many pairs of regular socks you bring, once they're wet , forget it. One of D#1's teammates was particularly uncomfortable (one of those bony little boys with no body fat). He's a good friend, and his birthday's coming up, so I'd like to make him a pair of swim meet socks. Now the challenge: he likes violent and wacky color combos (bright orange striped with purple and sky blue wouldn't be out of line) ... they need to be wool, I think, to stay warm when sodden, and I think they'd probably be best made out of something a little heavier than traditional sock yarn. Any ideas?

5 comments:

Knitting Linguist said...

Hmmm, that's a toughie. There's BMFA's Punk's Mischief that might work, although maybe it's too subtle? (You could get that one in a heavier weight.) Or Sereknity yarn's Belladonna or Aquarium (at The Loopy Ewe)? But maybe that's too fine... I'll keep poking around and see what I find. :)

Anne said...

Good suggestions! I've also looked at Sunshine Yarns Unbreakable Vow and Victoria ...

Nana Sadie said...

Berroco Sox. I have made 4 pair and while the colors (jacquard stripey) are phenominal, they're also very warm. There is a touch of of nylon to keep their shape. I LOVE them.
(((Hugs)))

limonene said...

Maybe some of the Kaffe Fasset Regia Sock yarn? The Landscape and Exotic colorways have dramatic transitions, and it comes in 6-ply too.

Anne said...

I'm going first with Noro sock in a pumpkin/purple colorway... couldn't find Berroco locally in good colors. I'm also going to try some Cider Moon Glacier I got from Rav users. I'll end up with several pairs of socks (yay) and D#1 can pick the pair she likes best for this friend ....