Sunday, November 16, 2008

Speedy Sunday synopsis

This has been a surprisingly relaxed weekend, despite the sneaker stress (more on that in a minute). We did have 2 swim practices and an end-of-season soccer party, but no Hebrew (tutor out of town) and no swim meets (next week). All four of went to do some errands together on Saturday (we made 3 separate visits to the Apple store to admire a) the iPod Touch b) the new MacBooks c) the bright pink nanos and d) the iPhone).

The major impetus for the trip was to visit the Greater Boston Running Company, one of the few local retail venues that carries Brooks Ariel sneakers in size tiny. Why, we did indeed discover this at the end of the summer when D#1 had developed thigh splints from a combination of custom orthotics and completely broken down sneakers. Some of you know that we did a lot of research and it was a terribly hot day when we went all the way to Hingham, and she tried on many sizes of the 2 orthopedist-approved varieties and we bought a lovely pair of these sneakers. No, her feet haven't grown --we were still looking for size tiny on Saturday. And we were doing this because somehow, 'twixt night and morning LAST weekend, those lovely sneakers (containing the custom orthotics, not covered by insurance) disappeared.

One of my readers will now realize with glee that the karma train has come full circle and to her I say that yes, I did indeed lose one brand new Ked on the #77 bus because I did not zip my back pack, but that Ked did NOT contain a custom orthotic and I'll bet anything that its retail price was approximately 18% of the retail price of the sneakers that my child lost. (I still remember how angry you were, though, Mom, and I'm sorry, all over again.) In a triumph of parenting, I did not kill D#1. And I am making an effort not to throw it up to her every 45 seconds. But this is a big pain, and very expensive (in money, yes, but time, as well). And, by the way, the fabulous podiatrist has office hours on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, from 8:30-3. Convenient.

Nonetheless, we had a fun excursion on Saturday. And today has been lovely as well. Three of us watched "Ratatouille" and laughed a lot, and there was lots of knitting time. Now I'm on duty, and in 20 minutes we'll all go to chapel and hear an organ recital (anyone out there ever read Cheaper by the Dozen? Not that kind of organ recital).

2 comments:

Knitting Linguist said...

Oh, no! I am in awe of your parenting skills; not threatening to sell her on eBay, and not throwing it up to her every few minutes is a triumph of self-control. Doesn't it just figure that it'd be the expensive shoes that get lost? I'm glad that the rest of the weekend has been peaceful and quiet, though, and I hope the organ concert goes well (haven't read that one, sounds like I must). :) (My verification word is "mitilica"; definitely has to mean something.)

Nana Sadie said...

OMG. Custom orthotics?
(sigh)
You have my sympathies. I do, however, hate to tell you it doesn't stop when they grow up. My 31 YO DD called in a panic yesterday to tell me her 3 boys had broken her glasses. INTO 3 pieces. Off to find someone who could give her frames that fit (as close as humanly possible) the lenses that were intact.

Mom had to foot that bill - she has to work, and surely could NOT have paid for the frames and bought food and gasoline this week.
(sigh)
So I feel your pain.

On another note? Our Salem baseball league has become a feeder team for your beloved Red Sox. We're now the "Salem Red Sox!"
(((hugs)))