Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I think it must be Tuesday

... but the lovely thing about vacation is that it doesn't really matter all that much. I have this wild idea that January is a quiet month, school-wise, so I'm going to knit mittens for NaKniMitMo and participate in the Red Sox Traveling Scarf event.

And I'm mulling over another project for a friend, but the implications are so sad that I can't really wrap my mind around it. Given my upbringing, I can't call what I want to make a prayer shawl, really, but I want it to express what I think those items are designed to convey in terms of friendship and caring and what my Quaker friends call "holding you in the light". One of my friends is having a bone marrow transplant tomorrow, and she's so far away that I haven't and won't be able to visit. So I've been a bit of a frenzy of wanting to fix it, not wanting to bug her husband for news, and not really knowing what to do. I'm not sure why it took me so long to think of knitting. I'm a little slow sometimes. She does live in a very hot place but hospitals can be chilly and I suspect she'll be seeing a lot of those for some time to come. I don't think it ought to be so complex that it takes a long time to knit, but I want it to be beautiful.

2 comments:

Knitting Linguist said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend -- I think a shawl is a perfect idea. I know what you mean about the name, as I, too, don't necessarily follow the traditions implied by it, but I think the idea of holding someone in the light of our thoughts and hopes and love is the right one. I hope tomorrow goes as well as possible for her.

Bea said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. As someone who lives somewhere hot a shawl sounds perfect because air conditioners can make things very chilly. I hope today(?) goes well for her.