Monday, July 14, 2008

At the All-Star Break

Happy Bastille Day! To celebrate that holiday and the fact that the Red Sox are back in first place in the AL East at the All-Star break (those Tampa Bay Rays surely tempted fate with their newspaper coverage full of hubris) , here's a hoodie sleeve ....













and some fleurs in progress:














an attempt to take a picture of D#2's soap bubbles floating up into the sky














My cherry tomato plant (ate the first fruit from this plant yesterday! yum)

my heirloom tomato plant



















and some photos taken by D#1 this past Saturday on the Cape ... hey, how did that other tomato picture sneak in there? Sometimes I don't understand Blogger at all.

Posted by Picasa

Today's Tour stage was very exciting -- and as a result I have nearly finished off one of the giant balls of roving that came with my spindle, so that's a great indication of progress. I wish I could see more consistency in the 'finished' product. It goes from thinner than laceweight to thicker than worsted weight in a matter of a few feet of spun fiber, and I know that's not good. When Minds Eye reopens after vacation maybe I'll be able to get in there for a tune up lesson before I start on the fancy roving waiting in the wings. I am enjoying learning, even if I am slow to progress.

R has taken D#1 off to have yet another tooth pulled (I know she is genetically pre-determined to be slow about losing her teeth, but boy is she squeamish about getting them out on her own) and I'm home with D#2 for the nonce. That young lady came home from summer school in a very happy mood, ate her lunch, and then bounced up from her seat declaring, "now it's bubble time!"

Recent reading:

Donna Leon, The Girl of His Dreams
Ken Follett, World Without End
Richard Russo, Bridge of Sighs

next up -- Vanity Fair (although now I'm thinking I should have sprung for a large print version! Ah, the indignity), and the still vexing question of whether I should pre-order Breaking Dawn or wait & try to buy it at an independent bookstore in VT later in August...

R's surgery is set for this Thursday. He's very nonchalant about the whole thing. I do hope it will be as easy as he anticipates. Fortunately my parents will take the girls up to Maine for the long-anticipated visit to my aunt & uncle's (flee, lobsters, flee!), so we don't have to disappoint them by keeping them home.

And yes, I have been looking at Petfinder. Why do you ask?

2 comments:

Knitting Linguist said...

You have been keeping busy! Yay for summer, eh? I can't wait to see pictures of the spinning. I know what you mean about the thick and thin; I'm still there with the wheel, although it's slowly evening out. I'll be thinking about you guys this Thursday, and hoping that the surgery goes beautifully. (How do you spin while watching these stages? I always have to give up for the last 10k or so and knit so I can watch the riding; I can't watch and draft at the same time, apparently...)

Kathleen said...

I'm happy to be back within access of a computer and to find you in a new location. Sounds like you have been very busy. Hope you continue to enjoy the summer break and get some R&R before the "new year" begins again in Sept.