Monday, July 21, 2008

Easily Amused


While there is plenty of garden loveliness going on (see above), there is also this:

These fellows came off the heirloom tomato plant, which also boasts this:


To say that I am alarmed would be an understatement. Is this "heirloom tomato blight"? Did I not care for the baby tomatoes properly? Are all of them going to develop those nasty brown blotches? Should I try to move that container away from the others in my burgeoning tomato forest? ETA: it has been suggested to me that I am a moron and that this is how heirloom tomatoes ripen. I really don't think so, especially after fishing one out of the compost and prodding the brown place, though I will be the first to stand up and declare myself a gardening dunce if it turns out to be so.

On the other hand, there are blotches of color that are GOOD. To wit, the Spunky Eclectic roving in "Leaf Peep". Who would ever have believed it would spin up like this?




Have I said how happy I am with the new spindle? It is also shown, below, with the cobalt blue that came with it -- astonishingly spun up in a stage and a half of the actual Tour, as part of the challenge for the fibery Tour. If I haven't said, I found this spindle on eBay, and Annie May has been unbelievably great!




And for just a little more amusement, here we are again at the kitty tunnel.

In photo 1, protruding from one opening in the tunnel, Sirius's hind leg.


photo 2, via the other opening in the tunnel, Sirius washing a front paw.


photo 3. No, this is a different black cat. Dobby meandered by, saw Sirius inside, and went in headfirst through the top opening (where Sirius' head is/was).



Much thumping and wrestling ensued.

3 comments:

Knitting Linguist said...

Y'know, I'm pretty sure that that's *not* how heirloom tomatoes ripen, but let me know if we're wrong. The spinning is looking awesome! Do we get pictures of the new spindle? (It looks like it might be pretty on top...)

Bea said...

hmmm...I don't know anything about heirloom tomatos, but I'm pretty sure you are right that it is a problem and not normal.

The spinning looks wonderful!

limonene said...

I'm not familiar with that variety of heirloom tomato, but that doesn't look quite right to me. If you know the variety, maybe you could do an image search on them to be sure? I've seen so many wacky looking tomatoes (my personal favorite is the striped ones) that anything could be possible.

All that fiber looks lovely. The colors are great!