Sunday, July 27, 2008

Rain Delay

I've reached the point in the summer when fall begins to loom (and may I say this seems much earlier than usual); I have not yet had an anxiety dream about school but I am certainly fretting about school-related tasks and all the organizational paperwork involved in sending my children to their respective institutions of learning. Why on earth is this happening in July, I'd like to know. Maybe it's because this past school year finished up in such a stomach-clenching way. In any case, I don't feel refreshed (I hope that's really 'I don't feel refreshed YET') and I am not (yet) feeling any sort of pleased anticipation about the school year to come... and I've been thinking more and more about what I might do with my life if I get to the point (which certainly felt near this spring) where the overall weight of Parents-and-their-issues cancels out what I love most about teaching. I've had other jobs, and I have even had another set of jobs that felt like a career at the time, but I'm not going back to any of those -- but that's all for another day, I think. I think. Listening in on the job hunts of those close to me always makes me wonder, and this summer I feel I have more reason to consider the possibilities.

Okay. On to the next thing.

I had a good Tour de Fleece; I think my spinning has really improved with all of this practice, and I have loved watching the transition from roving to yarn. Ahead: the challenge of plying (although the books I've inspected don't make it sound hard-what am I missing?). D#1 and I were at her swim meet when the actual Tour finished on the Champs Elysees this morning but we are home to watch the extended coverage/replay this evening. R and D#2 watched it live and, as a result, I have heard a great deal about how my youngest loves the Eiffel Tower. (Maybe we'll go to France for our sabbatical adventure in 2009-10? See, there's a reason to keep my job at least through 2010 ...)

The cherry tomatoes are now ripening in small handfuls but everything else remains resolutely green. The heirloom tomato plant does have some healthy-looking fruit on it, by the way. Since I pulled off all those nasty ones, I've only had to pick one more with the same discolorations.

Baseball news has been grim -- the Red Sox appear to be imploding in a catastrophe of incompetent middle relief, poor hitting, and the annual Manny-must-go mania. As I said to a very gracious and tactful Yankees fan this evening, the best I can hope for is that they'll be rained out this evening.

There has been knitting, but nothing significant to report at this point. I'm hoping to get at least one of the projects currently OTN done by Friday.

Time to go make some lists. And may I just say, I'm sick of all the rain? The tarp is coming off the field now, though. Play ball!

2 comments:

Knitting Linguist said...

Please feel free to send some of that rain this way -- the fire season has started early! And I know what you mean about the summer seeming to be over veryvery quickly, and without a significant sense of "aaaahhhhh" and relaxation. I think that part of our problem is that Tess is starting school on the 12th (!!), and has activities this week and next, so I don't feel like we've got August at all, even though I don't start until the 25th... Hang in there!

Bea said...

I hope that by the time school actually gets here you will feel refreshed.

I'm glad your garden is doing so well!