Thursday, July 17, 2008

Fauna and Flood




The Ds and our sitter found this completely fearsome insect on a tree in front of our house this afternoon. We couldn't identify it but maybe one of you can? (I'm fairly sure an insect isn't fauna, really, but I don't know what to call it.)






I've been wanting to show off the bird paradise R has created on the back deck; this set-up of feeders and bird-friendly flora brings several sizes of woodpecker, ruby-throated hummingbirds, cardinals, goldfinches, titmice, nuthatches, and a host of sparrows and mourning doves (and chipmunks and squirrels) ... and I am 95% certain that we heard a bluebird two mornings ago.






Above, Miss Fleur, grooming. She's been unusually present, visible, and friendly the past few days, and even visited with my mother in quite a chummy way yesterday.

Medical report: R had his surgery this morning and all seems to have gone well. He was home before noon, complete with a nifty cryo-cast that can be filled with ice water to reduce swelling and discomfort. I did convince him to stay on the first floor today; he saw the cats curled up on the mattress/box spring combo I'd set up and decided that if they approved of the spot he could give in.

Early this morning I was online reading various blogs and in Lime & Violet's Daily Chum I learned about Kristin, who is spearheading the rescue of the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund for flood victims in the Midwest. Of course I sent my donation, and -- how crazy is this? -- got an e-mail from Kristin saying that my donation had put her over her "magic number" and that I had won a prize! Isn't that nice? It's an important cause -- and she has many great prizes for those who donate, so please, everyone, if you can, chip in ...

Spinning and knitting (2 projects simultaneously) continues apace. I expect this weekend to be very productive in that regard, as it is supposed to be more or less too hot to move, otherwise. R and I can hang out by the fans watching the British Open (yikes, Phil Mickelson -- a triple bogey??), the Tour, and baseball (yay, the All-Star break is over!). The girls, believe it or not, will be in Maine ALL WEEKEND at a family gathering (thanks, Mom and Dad!).

2 comments:

Knitting Linguist said...

I'm so glad that the surgery went well! What a relief to get that over with, and to be able to start getting better (although I know, oh how I know, just how not fun PT can be). I'm loving the bird wonderland you have there -- it must be fun to watch them. And now, inquiring minds want to know, how goes the Petfinder scan? ;)

Bea said...

I'm so glad the surgury went well!