Monday, May 25, 2009

Still Here




I have neglected this space of late -- not because of any dearth of images, items to report, or lack of interest on my part, but simply because I have been working just about non-stop since my last post. Even this lovely holiday weekend has been intruded upon by thoughts like "shouldn't you actually be getting a jump on your comments?"



So to distract you from that horrid reality, I give you some of R's most recent photos, taken at the pond behind D#2's school. I love the egret with the fish --

Recently, Younger Daughter and one of my advisees made these creatures below:

Today I got to see my brothers and their families, which was lovely. It doesn't happen enough. I can't show any of the pictures yet, though. It's a secret.

Last Sunday, one of the nicest people I've ever had the good fortune to know died of the cumulative effects of leukemia and the aggressive treatment measures she and her partner chose to try. She was diagnosed last spring, tried chemo etc., had a bone marrow transplant in January, but when the leukemia cells came back in April she just could not continue to fight. Her son graduated from college on Saturday and was able to be with her at the end, the next day. She was a thoughtful scholar, a good writer, and a steadfast friend. My circle of friends is much diminished by her loss.


And this is what I'm going to do for the next hour instead of working:


2 comments:

Knitting Linguist said...

Oh, I am so very sorry to hear about your friend -- what a terrible tragedy. It sounds like there are a LOT of good reasons not to be posting right now -- enjoy your book :)

Bea said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Hugs for you and all her friends and loved ones.