Sunday, October 19, 2008

I hardly noticed Parents' Weekend

The girls and I went to Wet Paint Nail Spa today. We love this establishment.

Fruits of a seasonal activity: yesterday D#2 went apple-picking with friends. She had a blast. There are still a few orchards open, although it is getting pretty close to the end of the season. Maybe we'll get a batch of applesauce out of these guys.

Today I made chicken soup and bacon/Gruyere/green tomato quiche. I had good intentions about tackling the pickling but when I went ot our local Stop & Shop they had a full end cap of different kinds of lids for Mason jars, and NO JARS.

Below, another marker of the season (that's the Harvard Lampoon building):


These two shots (above and below this line) are the green tomato chocolate cake from last week.

These 2 shots are of my birthday cake, made by R and adorned by the candelabra birthday candle sent me by my New York relatives. Those white circles are non-pareils. They occasioned a great deal of discussion ("what are they?" "what does THAT mean?" "What are those little white things on them?" "Do I have to eat it?").

Posted by Picasa

Yum.

So we're all pretty excited about tonight, and R and I have changed our plans in deference to this momentous achievement (out to dinner instead of to "Body of Lies," figuring that the former would get us home earlier than the latter). If TBS loses the feed from Tampa again there will be hell to pay.

On a bigger scale, win or lose tonight, the fact that the Sox got to Game 7 says a lot about their heart and determination. This is why I love baseball -- you have to play the games to find out what will happen. All my Sox knitter pals are casting on good juju socks tonight and I do have some good red and white sock yarn that was sent to me by a fabulous swap partner. Maybe casting on for good luck socks is the push I need to put the Druid mittens on a circular (and frog back to get rid of the miscrossed cable I spotted while awaiting my turn at Wet Paint this afternoon). I carry them around so much that the dpns fall out, and my nifty dpn transport case is in use (on a pair of socks suffering from -- no, not second sock syndrome but "final 2/3 sock syndrome").

Yesterday, driving down to Attleboro to collect my swimmer from a "Catch the Spirit" clinic, I imagined walking down to the water with Marit to admire the new sea house before returning to her house for tea and an explanation of baseball. I remember thinking, I wonder if W.P. Kinsella's short story "The Thrill of the Grass" is available in Norwegian? That's a lovely example of [baseball] prose ....

Then, on the drive home, when D#1 announced that she was done talking and turned on her booklight, I imagined going to the Left Coast for a long walk with Jocelyn. She has a lot on her mind and I'm a good listener.

I love the connections afforded us by this Internet/blogging world.

3 comments:

Bea said...

Happy Birthday. Your cake and the green tomato chocolate cake look delish!

Knitting Linguist said...

Thanks for thinking of me -- I do have a lot to think about, and reading your post gives me more good things to add to the list. The cake looks delicious (happy birthday!), and I even know what nonpareils are :) I'll send good baseball thoughts at the Sox, and good baseball-watching thoughts to you guys. Thanks for the National Lampoon shot, too -- that made me laugh.

marit said...

Hi! Sorry RedSox lost last night(yes, I found their homepage and checked!), but I still don't understand the game-LOL! I'm not sure of the short story is translated, will have to check it out a little better. Baseball is not a big sport in Norway...
Yummy cake- happy birthday:-)
Cute nails- I'm sure my daughters would have loved something like that, but it would have been totally wasted on me, since I wear woolsocks at all times...
Have a nice week.