Thursday, October 9, 2008

Looking for the silver lining

It's John Lennon's birthday today. Anyone else horrified to realize he would have been 68, or are we all so terrifyingly grownup now that we're not fazed?

On a larger scale, I cannot help but feel that we are entering (or well into) dangerous and uncharted waters in this country. I am fortunate enough to know that my job is safe, and so is my husband's -- but I think about all of the farmers and fiber artists and techie people I know and I worry about what the future holds for them. We're all so busy saying how important this election is but the fact remains that neither candidate is going to be able to fix what's wrong with our economy right away (if ever), and a lot of people who cannot afford to do so are going to pay for some stunningly bad decisions, policies, and lack of vision. And the people who made those decisions and cooked up those policies will barely feel a pinch. It's disheartening.

I'll come up with something more positive in a day or so. Maybe I'll show you some knitting, or some puppy pictures (she's coming to visit for the weekend). Maybe I'll have come up with an awesome recipe for using up the green tomatoes. Maybe I'll be able to tell you that I've graded all the papers in my possession. Yes.

2 comments:

Nana Sadie said...

I think, yes, that we're in a dangerous period. But I have a bit more hope that things can be worked out. And I'm also hopeful that those who created this disaster are held accountable.

I try hard, even during periods of great stress to remember that my parents survived the Depression with almost nothing. And lived good lives.

We will, too. Maybe it would be a good thing to search out some of what worked then, and use it in our everyday lives? I'm trying to...
((((Hugs))))

Knitting Linguist said...

It's funny to read this post right now when I was just walking with some friends and we were talking about how frightening the state of the nation is right now, and whether we're looking at possible total collapse, and what that would even look like. Rome keeps coming to mind...

Meanwhile, hang in there, hug the kids, play with the dog, and feel good about teaching those students whose papers you're grading -- those are all important, too.