Sunday, September 14, 2008

More on Remembering 9/11


From the hiking 'diary' of Computer Genius Brother:

"Yesterday (Sept 13) was Flags on the 48, when hikers fly the American flag on each
of the 48 NH 4,000 footers in memory of September 11th. I climbed South Twin
(via North Twin) to participate in the memorial. South Twin has been a
difficult peak for me, I was glad to finally reach it. The morning weather
was uncooperative - I was climbing in fog and cloud, very damp and chilly,
with no views whatsoever. But the skies cleared as I made my way from North
Twin over to South Twin, and there were lovely - if limited - views from
South Twin. I could see the flags on North Twin, Garfield, Lafayette,
Lincoln, Bond, and West Bond, as well as funny shapes that were probably
flags on Willey and Eisenhower. I could also see the peaks of Tom, Field,
Owls Head, and Carrigain, all of which - except Garfield - I've climbed.
South Twin was #39 of 48.

There were lots of people hanging around because of the flags. It was
interesting how many of them had no idea the memorial was taking place, but
wanted to stay nearby, and were already planning to hike Flags on the 48
next year. There was also a lot of talk about the meaning of the memorial
itself, more so than I remember 2 years ago (the last time I joined)."

Thanks for sharing, bro, and for allowing me to post not only the picture but your words as well.

1 comment:

Knitting Linguist said...

Wow. What an amazing memorial for your brother to participate in. It's hard to believe it's been seven years already; it still feels entirely fresh and vivid in my mind...