Saturday, September 27, 2008

Teaching Knitting

Tonight I proposed a dorm S 'n' B as an alternative to the football game under the lights (and, more importantly, in the torrentially pouring rain). It was just fascinating to observe the different ways the girls approached the yarn and needles. Some had knit before and needed only a little push. One lefty couldn't manage to learn right-handed and sequestered herself in the corner with my laptop & a YouTube video on casting on and knitting left-handed. Some of the smartest but spaciest kids couldn't figure out the sequencing of tasks involved in the knit stitch, and one ninth grade perfectionist ripped her work out 4 times and finally threw in the towel, vowing to try another day. But two of the first time knitters took to it like ducks to water (one ninth grader working on a hat and one sophomore creating a very fuzzy scarf), and they really rocked. I can't wait to see how they progress and if they continue to like it. They were all surprised how fast the time went; most stuck to it for over 2 hours.

(I had actually worried that I wouldn't get any takers for this activity but I had eight girls knitting at one time or another and I count that a success. If I were still doing Lime & Violet's Chore Wars I'd definitely get to move up a level as a result).

I'm tired of the rain. Oh, and there could be a new installment in the puppy story. I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

Knitting Linguist said...

What a great idea -- it sounds like maybe you've hooked a few more for our craft :) Now you'll have to bring some spindles to let them try, hehe.

Puppy story installment? Inquiring minds...

Bea said...

Yeah! New knitters! This is a great idea.

Nana Sadie said...

I'm not geared to teach knitting, but I'm so glad you had such success!!!
(((hugs)))

marit said...

Great idea- and how fun that the kids liked it and took to it! My kids have learned to knit in school, because I'm a lousy teacher...