Tuesday, February 3, 2009

After the Groundhog

Yes, more snow today. This winter will *never* end. And the wintry mood brought on by talk of budget shortfalls and the need to cut expenses isn't helping. (But the girls who just returned to the dorm from a late advisory meeting tell me that the snow is beautiful and sparkly in the moonlight -- and it has covered up allt he dirty old snow, so that's a good thing.)

I have to say, too, that I am saddened by the mess surrounding the Daschle nomination. I don't think it's too righteous of me to expect senators to pay their taxes like all the rest of us. Is it?

We had a somewhat depressing discussion at lunch today about a student who confronted his English teacher with the statement that he really didn't like literature and wanted to read only Dan Brown novels. I hope I'm long done teaching when there's nobody left who likes to read Melville.

I'm finally ready to part with one of the Red Sox traveling scarves in my possession (fortunately I still have one left to console me). I love the pattern I found for this one in Luxury Yarns: One Skein Wonders. It's called "petite cables" and it looks really nice in the Valley Yarns Northampton. Other than that, I've been so busy with duty and comments and senior projects that I've had little time to knit (or sleep, or spend time at home ... yeah). Once my advisor reports are out of the way I hope things will ease up a little. I have lots of projects in mind, and am trying to knit down my stash a bit. Yesterday I sent a box of partial skeins to Girls, Inc after reading about their effort to teach girls to knit.

The equipment truck leaves Fenway on Friday, & pitchers and catchers report next week!

2 comments:

Knitting Linguist said...

Wow, you guys just keep getting slammed by winter -- not fun at all. I know what you mean about the reading thing; most of my students don't ever read for pleasure. It breaks my heart. I hope some knitting time opens up for you soon!

Nana Sadie said...

You could send a little of the white stuff here...if it's going to be THIS cold - I want SNOW. (sigh)
Reading and writing are becoming lost arts...
(Double-sigh)
(((Hugs)))