Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Good Tuesday

I've told Jocelyn and my dad this story already, but:

I was watching the inauguration with about a dozen girls today --they hail from Seoul, Hong Kong, New York City, Seekonk MA, Bethesda MD ... in short, from our global village. As the former presidents were walking in, one girl asked (of Jimmy Carter), "Who's that?" I identified him (she did know, at least, that Jimmy Carter was a former president), and she said, "Well, they all look the same," and I thought, that's exactly right --until today.

As you might expect, D#2 liked the pomp and circumstance, and the songs -- and she pronounced the speeches "excellent",. Who knew -- I thought I would hear about the hats and outfits. D#1's response was also fairly typical of her worldview: she thought Obama's speech was too long but interesting and thought-provoking nonetheless: "He's a smart man and knows a lot about history. He started out by complimenting George Bush and then criticized everything he and his administration did. I wonder how it felt to sit there and listen to all of that criticism." Her homework tonight was to write the president a letter. She told him she hoped she would treasure the memory of this day AND remember how hopeful she felt today for the rest of her life.

For the rest of the month, when I'm not engaged in the traveling scarf project (the next one is on its way across the pond, Tekgirl), I'm going to try to finish up some old UFOs and use up some stash yarn. Currently at bat and moving along fast (pun intended), the River Rapids socks.
I'll rave in detail about the Yarnpig Mountain Majesty colorway and the softness & squishiness of the fiber when I can show you pictures of TWO complete socks.

It was a rare Tuesday night dinner at home for me. We had raspberry/chocolate chip pancakes and bacon.

1 comment:

Knitting Linguist said...

Your dinner sounds wonderful, and I love D#1's assessment of the new President's speech; it's pretty much exactly what we said here. What a great day...