Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Snow Day!

I was ready for school today, truly I was -- all my exams were graded by 10 p.m. last night and I had submitted my grades and everything. But still, it was great to have the phone ring at 5:20 a.m. and hear my colleague say "It's a snow day!"

I've been really productive today, too, although unfortunately that means I haven't touched ANY knitting. My pals in the Red Sox International Traveling Scarf Group are going to think I've set out to keep all of the scarves (insert evil laugh here).

What exactly have I accomplished if I haven't been knitting, you ask? I've gotten through the grindingly boring part of dealing with the glitches in the senior project database (if they don't fix it by the time I need to get reports out to project supervisors I'm going to be seriously annoyed) -- and I think I have made all the off-system corrections the kids e-mailed to me. (That was six hours' worth of work, by the way.) I tutored for an hour. I responded to a number of e-mails and did some course planning with a colleague. I spent some time with my own personal children. I located several of last semester's papers (their authors are in my current class), beefed up the comments thereon, and put them in my Other School Bag for tomorrow night's class. If I can work for another hour and a half or so, then all my after dinner time can be knitting. (Please note: the word "dinner" is used to denote timing rather than anything I'm actually going to be doing. The only non-saltine food I've had since Saturday is 1 slice of apple and half a bowl of excellent fish chowder. While others have shaken off this stomach bug fairly quickly, it seems to like me.)

2 comments:

Knitting Linguist said...

That doesn't sound like a day off at all! But it does sound productive, which is often a relief. I hope your stomach gets some relief soon...

Nana Sadie said...

I LOVE snow days, because they let us do something we "need" to do, even if it's just sleep in. (I did, and I desperately needed the extra sleep!)
Hang in there...
(((hugs)))